According to Hubspot, companies that blog get 55% more website traffic and 70% more leads than those that don’t. And those leads convert into customers – 57% of companies report that they’ve acquired customer through their blogs. On top of that, companies that blog receive 97% more inbound links, which are one of the most important factors in driving organic search traffic.
But you can’t get great results with just any old blog post.
Here’s how to get the most for your time and resources:
1. Start with your buyer personas. Write what they want, not what you want – creating great content will get you the traffic, but creating the content your customers need and want will generate leads and customers.
2. Keep each post to one topic, and stay focused. Give readers a neat little content present, and they’ll keep coming back for more.
3. Craft a compelling title that will draw people in and that accurately describes the post, so they won’t be disappointed once they get there. Keep titles brief, specific, actionable, and keyword conscious.
4. Don’t waste great content with bad formatting and no imagery. Nothing on the Internet is more of a turn-off than a giant unadorned block of text. Unless it’s CSPAN coverage of the government shutdown.
5. Don’t miss out on conversion opportunities – some of your readers need and want your services! Calls to action help you identify those readers as leads and get them into the sales funnel. Just remember to be respectful; readers will feel betrayed (rightly!) if they expected answers to their questions and get sales pitches instead.
6. Follow a schedule – publishing posts frequently (twice a week or more is ideal) keeps your audience engaged and helps your SEO, and doing it on the same days each week helps people know what to expect.
7. Promote your post through social media, your email list, and with smoke signals if necessary. Just be careful not to irritate your fans – be loud ‘n’ proud, but don’t dominate their news feeds with too many tweets or status updates about your post.
- Verify your authorship with through your Google+ profile to get maximum SEO value
- Include links to social media profiles, email newsletter, and your contact page
- Target each post to a keyword to broaden your website’s “keyword footprint”
- Pump up your SEO power by using your keyword in the URL, meta description, and image file names and alt tags
But the #1 best practice for your online business blog: make your content worth reading, talking about, and sharing!
Want to learn more about integrating your blog into an inbound marketing strategy? Check our our ebook, How to Create an Effective Inbound Marketing Campaign!