The holidays are chaotic for everybody, consumers and businesses alike. It's easy to let details slip through the cracks, like updating your local listings with your holiday business hours—but the last thing you want is piss off a client or customer who actually took the time to check your hours, only to find you closed.
Luckily, the big players in local business listings make it relatively easy to update your business hours for the holidays. Here are easy instructions for updating Google My Business, Bing Places, and Yelp!
1. Google My Business
You can set special hours in advance, and your regular hours remain in place on all other days. If you don't schedule special hours on an official holiday (you can see the list here), people using Google Maps and search on those days will see a warning that your hours may be different.
While it's helpful that Google warns them, it's still a much better idea to set holiday hours, even if they're the same as your regular hours, to clear up any confusion caused by that default warning.
Here are the instructions for setting special hours, directly from Google Support:
- Sign in to Google My Business.
- For a single location:
For multiple locations:
- From card view, choose the listing you’d like to set special hours for and click Manage location. If you’re viewing your locations as a list instead of cards, switch to card view by clicking the cards icon on the right side above your locations.
- Click Info from the menu on the left side of the page.
- From list view, select the locations you’d like to set special hours for. If you’re viewing your locations as cards instead of a list, switch to list view by clicking the list icon on the right side above your locations.
- Click the pencil icon in the top-right corner of the page.
- Click the Special hours section.
- Click Confirm hours next to an upcoming holiday. Or click Add new date to choose a different date.
- Enter the opening and closing times for that day.
- Slide the circle to “Closed” to indicate that the location is closed all day.
- If you're open 24 hours, click Opens at and select 24 hours from the dropdown menu that appears.
- If you enter closing hours past midnight, make sure to set them properly.
When you’ve finished entering all of your special hours, click Apply. Your special hours will appear to customers on Google only for the designated days.
For two sets of special hours on the same day, enter them in separate rows. For instance, if your business is open for a period in the morning, closes for lunch, and reopens in the afternoon, enter these special hours in two rows. Click Add hours to add an additional row of hours.
You can also set special hours via spreadsheet, on mobile, or set hours that extend into the next day. For more information on those options, visit the support page with the original instructions here.
2. Bing Places
To update your holiday hours in Bing Places, head to bingplaces.com and log in.
- Click on your business name
- Click "Edit" (beside your business name)
- Click "Next" until you reach the hours section
- Click the box under "Yes, I want to provide working hours for special days"
Now you can add your holiday hours, or select "Closed" for the days you're completely closed. When you're done, click "Next" and then "Submit."
Your holiday hours will be green when they appear in search results to indicate that they're special holiday hours.
When I chatted with Bing Places customer service, they told me that when you add holiday hours, the changes will be reflected on the live business listing page within 7 to 10 business days, which I think we can all agree is a weirdly long time. So if you use Bing Places, update your holiday hours ASAP.
Yelp's instructions for setting holiday hours are nice and straightforward, too. Here they are, directly from the source:
On the Yelp for Business app, go to Business Information and select Special Hours. You can mark your business as closed for the day or open during a window of time. Special hours are set on a day-by-day basis, so add each day where your operating hours will be different from the hours regularly listed on Yelp.
Once your hours are set, consumers will see a banner highlighting your special hours on your Yelp Business Page as well as call outs in the hours section.
You can see pictures and read the original instructions here.
As a part of our local listings service (which keeps your business listings up to date on scores of platforms, including Google, Bing, and Yelp), we update holiday holiday hours for you. If you don't want to take the time to do this yourself, get in touch! We'd be happy to manage your local listings for you all year 'round, holidays included.