Here's an interesting piece of trivia: did you know that LinkedIn has 259 million registered users across the globe, and that every second, two new professionals join the network? LinkedIn is the world’s largest online professional network, with members in over 200 countries and territories. Furthermore, LinkedIn counts executives from all of the 2013 Fortune 500 companies as members, and more than 3 million companies have LinkedIn Company Pages.
These powerful stats don't lie - LinkedIn is one of the most influential players on the social media stage. For business professionals around the world, LinkedIn has become an important part of doing business.
As a social media expert who understands the importance of engagement on LinkedIn, you probably already have an all-star profile that shines with your professional achievements, carefully-honed skills, and impressive projects. While having a personal LinkedIn account is essential for your professional exposure, creating a company page helps others learn more about your business, products, services, and job opportunities, and ultimately drives traffic to your company website.
Putting time and energy into both your personal and company LinkedIn pages will allow you to boost your exposure as a business professional and to bring visibility to your brand.
So, let's connect the dots and create a stellar company page with these four easy steps!
1. Select "Companies" from the top of your profile page under Interests:
2. Click "Add a Company" link at the top right-hand side corner of your screen:
3. Enter your company's name and official email address. If your work email is different from the one you used to register your personal LinkedIn profile, a verification email will be sent to that address. Follow the steps provided in the verification message, and then proceed to creating your page. You will be also asked to check a box verifying that you are the official business representative authorized to create the page.
4. Click Continue and enter your company information. In order to publish your page, you will be asked to enter a business URL and a short description (250-2000 characters). Please note: a preview of the page is not available, but you will be able to see and edit it once it's published on the LinkedIn website.
Voilà! You have set up your LinkedIn company page. Now let's dress it up!
5. Once you are in the Admin view of your newly-created company page, click the blue Edit button at the top right and check the following items off your list:
- Include your official business name and make sure that the company description accurately represents your firm.
- Assign designated admins: your co-workers, partners, social media managers, etc. The only requirement here is that you must be connected with the LinkedIn member in order to add him or her as an admin.
- Are you hiring? Add recruiting posters that describe your company as an awesome workplace!
- Add a compelling header image (645 x 220px). Be creative! If you don't have a custom-designed image, take a close-up of your company sign or a photo inside the office to help people get a feel for your company's culture.
- Upload two versions of your company logo: a standard logo that will appear at the top of your company page, and a square version used for the network updates.
- Add specialities and products, and join groups. Joining groups allows your company to share information about your brand and news about your industry with people beyond your immediate network. It's all about the exposure!
Congratulations! Now you have a stellar profile AND an awesome company page - get ready for more engagement on LinkedIn!