If you are a small business owner, you have to wear many hats to successfully juggle daily tasks. Website maintenance can take a lot of time and effort, especially for those who don't feel very tech savvy. As a result, content updates can quickly fall to the bottom of the to do list, and important information doesn't reach the customer on time. Luckily, all of VIEO Design's clients enjoy the Wordpress Content Management System, which makes your busy life much easier.
These Wordpress features will help you save time and get the information to your customers more quickly:
1. Schedule Blog Posts Ahead of Time
If you want more people to find you online, we recommend publishing at least two blog posts a week. In WordPress, you can easily schedule posts to be published at a particular time and date, so you don't have to be in front of your computer each time the blog post is scheduled to go live. Here are the steps:
1. Login to your WordPress dashboard and go to the Edit screen for the post you wish to schedule.
2. In the top right of the page, look for a box titled "Publish" and click the blue “Edit” text next to “Publish immediately”. Choose the month, date, year and time you want your post to be published (remember to use military time).
3. Click the gray “OK” button.
4. If you’re ready to go, click the blue “Schedule” button to set it for go live.
2. Use Spellcheck
This step is very easy to overlook. If you want to check the spelling in your content, click the button that has a checkmark with the letters “ABC” at the top.
3. Create a Line Break
This is an easy one! To create a single line break- a line that separates parts of the text, just hold the Shift key and hit Return on a PC, or Command and Return on a Mac.
4. Use WordPress Keyboard Shortcuts
The WordPress editor (where you write and edit pages and posts) has a lot of shortcuts that save you a lot of time:
Bold: Control + B
Underline: Control + U
Italic: Control + I
Heading 1: Control + 1
Heading 2: Control + 2
Heading 3: Control + 3
Heading 4: Control + 4
5. Change Post Authors
In order to keep blog content fresh and interesting, we recommend that every person on your team periodically writes a blog article. If multiple people write for your site, but you’re the only one publishing, your username will appear as the author for every post. Here is what to do to change the authors:
1. In the Edit screen for the blog post that need an author change click the “Screen Options” tab at the top right.
2. Select the option that says “Author.” Choose the author of the post from the drop-down list.
3. Click “Publish” or “Update” button to save the post under the new author.
This WordPress help site offers a lot of great tips and shortcuts to save you time and effort when it comes to managing your website. What WordPress tips would you include here? Let us know in the comments!