If you’re a super smarty-pants, you’ll read that headline and be like, “DUH, Amanda! Writing a tweet for inbound marketing is super easy.”
But believe it or not, there are still companies out there that aren’t on board the social media train. Notice I said train, and not bandwagon. Social media is riding the largest upward trend in its history, and it’s not going anywhere any time soon. It’s only going to evolve and leave behind anyone who didn’t hop on board.
Social media can be leveraged best in combination with an inbound marketing strategy. HubSpot suggests applying the 80/20 rule to your social media sharing, and I couldn’t agree more.
If you need a refresher, the 80/20 rule means that only 20% of your posts should be about you and what your company does – basically, “sales-y” posts – and the remaining 80% should be other content that is of interest to your buyer personas, whether you created it or are sharing it from another source.
Keeping the 80/20 rule in mind, I’m going to go over some ways to balance your Twitter account to make it more “inboundy,” though all of my tips can be applied to other social platforms as well.
First and foremost, create a voice for your company.
Give your tweets some personality, and keep the tone consistent across all platforms. This gives your company a genuine quality that will help your followers personally relate to your brand.
Potential customers will be more comfortable interacting with your brand, and over time, develop trust. Always remember that customers purchase more from companies they trust and feel a connection with.
I’ve seen businesses approach this company “voice” in several different ways. Having a person or group of people designated to create and publish content helps build a consistent voice.
Giving your company a face can also help increase your engagement. It doesn’t have to be a real face; several companies have created faux employees (usually cartoons so there’s no confusion) that become their voice on social media.
Engagement isn’t about you.
The next step of how to write a tweet with the perfect 80/20 balance is engaging your buyer personas.
It’s not all about you or your company. Post, Post, Post, Post, Post… When customers look at your Twitter account and just see a bunch of posts you’ve written, all they see is Me, Me, Me, Me, Me.
No one likes a braggy, self-centered person, so why would they follow a Twitter account that exists only to promote the company itself? They wouldn’t, though there are plenty of those accounts out there.
To build a Twitter following that supports your inbound marketing strategy, you must do more than just post – you need to post and share things that appeal to the audience you want.
Start by setting up searches to monitor mentions of relevant keywords and hashtags on Twitter. There are many different pieces of social media software (HubSpot, Tweetdeck, HootSuite, etc.), and all have the ability to set up custom searches.
Pair these searches with company-related topics and watch to see what everyone in the Twittersphere is talking about. If you see a tweet you could respond to with some expert insight, BINGO! You may earn a new follower and fan of your brand.
This is my absolute favorite thing that brands can do on Twitter. It lets me know that there are brands out there that want to provide outstanding service to their customers – it even got me to buy my car.
SHARE ALL THE THINGS!
Perhaps the biggest key to success on Twitter is to share great, relevant content – your content, industry content, viral videos, memes – anything that your potential customers would enjoy seeing.
Sharing your blog posts and offers with a mix of these other pieces of content gives your customers something to connect with. Even if you didn’t create it, you shared it with them, and they’ll associate it with your brand.
The most frequently shared items on social media are usually driven by laughter or anger. Of course, it’s probably a good idea to steer clear of content that is likely to make people angry. Anything that will attract negative or controversial opinions can be difficult to manage, and reflects poorly on your brand. Sometimes, even sports can fall into this category! (Go Braves).
Using these three tips to write tweets will definitely keep your social media posts in line with your inbound marketing strategy. You can even print this out and hang it in your cubicle or office, where this fantastic treasure trove of knowledge can inspire and empower your coworkers to change the world! Ok, maybe not change the world, but at least create a community around your brand.